Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Totally Tulle Crib Skirt
I finally finished up Pink Crayon's Crib Skirt. She's 7 months old. Obviously, I'm running behind on finishing her room. See, the thing is: I am NOT creative at all while pregnant. It's almost like my body is using ALL its energy to create the little miracle. I nest the last month or so of pregnancy and become a total pain in the butt to live with but I still never get the "creative itch."
So back to the crib skirt... A few months ago, I went to the fabric store to buy some tulle to make a skirt for a friend of mine. The tulle was on major sale for .79 a yard. So I bought 10 yards in the hopes of making a fun crib skirt for the little lady's room. I finally got around to making it yesterday. I love the way it turned out. BUT, to me, tulle is a pain in the butt. It slips and slides no matter how I pin it. It only took me just shy of 2 hours to complete the crib skirt, but I became frustrated A LOT with that damn slippery tulle.
This is what I did: I cut a piece of fabric to the size of the board the mattress sits on. Mine was 26x50. Then I cut the 10 yards of tulle I purchased in half. The first 5 yard cut was for the front. Then I cut the remaining 5 yards in half so I had 2.5 yards per short side. The crib stays against the wall so there was no need to make the tulle go around all 4 sides, so I only did 3 sides. I started with the long, front side first. I folded the width of the tulle so it was 12 inches. So then for the front, I had a piece of tulle 5 yards by 12 inches. I pleated and pinned the tulle across the top front of the fabric (the piece of fabric cut to the size of the mattress board). I followed the same steps for both shorter sides. Then I sewed the pinned tulle to the fabric removing the pins as I sewed.
I had planned on doing a tutorial for this crib skirt, but I had my hands full trying to keep the tulle "in line." This was only my second time working with tulle, so I'm sure someone with more experience with tulle would have a much easier time completing this project. But even dealing with the unruly tulle, this project took me less than 2 hours to complete and only cost about $8.
If you make one, I'd love to see it!
Check out Blog Goodies to see where I Linky Party.